Knowledge of salary planning tools and methods, job evaluation techniques, and market salary trends; ability to design and implement salary programs.
Documents key steps in the salary planning process.
Describes the organization's salary structure.
Seeks external sources of salary information and market analysis.
Identifies professional organizations and publications relevant to salary planning.
Assists in the development and implementation of salary plans.
Participates in the salary review process.
Analyzes jobs within the organization to determine job responsibilities, current pay, and related market pay.
Collects and analyzes data required for salary surveys.
Completes salary reports using appropriate software or external survey vendors.
Reviews job evaluation results for accuracy and inclusion of new salary plans.
Designs and develops salary and other forms of compensation programs.
Advises on issues and considerations of total compensation packages for different target populations.
Conducts internal and external salary surveys; evaluates individual survey results.
Prepares and interprets statistical reports for management review and salary plan action.
Oversees the preparation of salary planning guidelines and procedures for the annual budgeting process.
Directs salary planning programs across multiple functions and departments.
Leads the development and communication of organization-wide salary planning initiatives.
Recommends innovative salary approaches and tools; promotes their usefulness to the organization.
Leads the evaluation and selection of salary planning vendors, e.g. salary planner software providers.
Predicts relevant industry developments and emerging trends that could impact the organization.
Creates salary budgets based on new salary plans or salary adjustments.
- Tell me about the involvement you have had in salary planning processes.
- What resources have you used for salary or increase planning?
- Tell me about a time when an employee was not happy about his/her salary. How was this addressed?
- What would you do if an employee within a key position asked for a salary that was 30% higher than market level and over the company's budget?
- How do you deal with a conflict between salary budget and performance appraisal results? For example