Assistant University Counsel
Responsible to the General Counsel, or higher-level administrator. May assume the responsibility for the operation of the office of the General Counsel in his/her absence. May be delegated responsibility for the overall direction and management of specific areas of the legal function of the university.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Assists in the planning, organizing, and directing of all legal activities involving the university.
- Advises and consults with university or Board officials on legal rights and obligations and assists in the formulation of legal policy.
- May represent the Board, university, or employees before courts and administrative bodies in cases involving the Board, university, or employees.
- May assist in drafting proposed legislation for the Board or university.
- Performs related duties as required or deemed appropriate to the accomplishment of the responsibilities and functions of his/her area.
Education and Experience
Law degree (L.L.B or J D.) and must be a member of the Florida Bar or become a member within twelve months of employment.
Licensure and Certification
This position does not typically have supervisory responsibility.
- Risk Management
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Problem Solving
- Effective Communications
- Audit And Compliance Function
- Word Processing Software
- Legal Function
- Legal Analysis
- Government Affairs Regulatory Environment
- Contracts Review
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.