Responsible for handling a variety of complex assigned legal projects. Provides advice and legal representation on a broad range of legal matters including rendering verbal and written advice on legal subjects, evaluating legal cases, and represents clients in legal proceedings.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Provides legal counsel, advice, and representation to clients on a broad range of legal topics including landlord-tenant, criminal, consumer, creditor/debtor/collection, employment, and public benefits law.
- Reviews information and makes recommendations on filing legal actions. Drafts legal documents and correspondence.
- Analyzes legal issues and defenses; drafts pleadings and motions; conducts discovery, which will include interviewing witnesses, obtaining statements and reviewing evidence; and prepares witness testimony and exhibits.
- Represents clients in trials, appellate proceedings, hearings before administrative fact finders, and mediations and settlement negotiations.
- Assists in working with state and municipal authorities, community representatives, and other University of Florida offices to ensure that client interests are considered/advanced in regards to changes to laws, ordinances, regulations, and/or rules.
Education and Experience
J.D. or LL.B. from an ABA-accredited law school.
Licensure and Certification
Must be a member of the Florida Bar or become a member within twelve months of employment.
This position does not typically include supervisory responsibility.
- Risk Management
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Problem Solving
- Effective Communications
- Audit And Compliance Function
- Word Processing Software
- Legal Function
- Legal Analysis
- Government Affairs Regulatory Environment
- Contracts Review
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.