Knowledge of and ability to utilize the tools, techniques and procedures needed to establish and monitor budgets.
Gathers information on the basic concepts behind the budgeting process.
Describes major roles and responsibilities in the budgeting process.
Uses the basic tools used for maintaining budgets.
Identifies key budget reports and their use.
Assists in the collection and preparation of required budget information.
Explains the functions and features of budgeting tools.
Participates in developing and monitoring a budget for a specific work group or department.
Detects and interprets budget variances and overruns.
Implements the organization's budget cycle and process.
Supervises budget management activities across multiple departments or functions.
Works with capital budgets, operating budgets and cash budgets.
Teaches others the details of and rationale behind organization's budget cycles.
Integrates budget data and processes from multiple and diverse areas.
Participates in establishing procedures for planning, implementing and monitoring budgets.
Analyzes budgets for patterns and causes of budgeting inaccuracies.
Consults on the budgeting process across the enterprise.
Develops and integrates budgets for multiple functional areas.
Leads in defining budgeting cycle, process and best practices.
Creates a monitoring system for organization's budget versus peer organizations.
Designs budget management strategies that are in line with the organization's central goals.
Establishes industry benchmarks and predicts budget management trends.
- Tell me about your budget management experience. What was the largest budget (in dollars) that you were responsible for?
- What types of policies were in place to ensure that appropriate approvals were obtained before a budgeted amount was exceeded?
- Tell me about a time that you had some control over spending in your last organization. How did you make sure that expenses didn't exceed budgeted amounts?
- Tell me about a department or function that did not agree with the budget you established for them. How was this resolved?
- What types of technical or software solutions have you used to plan and control your organization's budget? What impact did these solutions have on your budgetary "operations?"