Knowledge of organizational practices and considerations for communicating in the public arena, from the community to global public relations (PR); the ability to communicate to various forms of media outlets effectively and establish favorable public relations.
Identifies the major responsibilities of the public relations function.
Identifies common types and formats of public relations communications.
Cites organizational examples of public relations events or publications.
Locates the types of organizational information in which the public would be interested.
Reviews standard guidelines on the avenues involved in public relations.
Positions the general layout and content of a press release.
Works with organizations in the community in support of the local image.
Explains the distribution process of a press release.
Coordinates current PR activities in the community.
Supervises others for a variety of public relations communications and events.
Advises on how to differentiate between public versus confidential information.
Evaluates team for PR ethics (deadlines, cooperation, responsiveness, truth and perception) and ensures they follow guidelines.
Seeks out and facilitates organizational opportunities aimed at improving community relations.
Monitors regional or national level public relations activities.
Analyzes the pros and cons of alternative forums for developing an organizational image.
Defines the policy, strategy and best practices for public relations activities.
Leads in the promoting of organizational interviews, press releases and speaking engagements.
Consults on writing press releases, marketing materials, speeches and articles.
Creates a system to monitor the effectiveness of the organization's public relations campaigns and media.
Evaluates case studies on effective and ineffective public relations strategies.
Participates in enterprise-wide, global-level public relations activities.
- How did you ensure that all members of your public relations team were following consistent standards?
- How did you decide what information should be a part of a public relations campaign?
- Which methods did your organization use to evaluate or adjust the organization's image in the public arena?
- Tell me about a major public relations communication, campaign, or event that you were responsible for as a part of your previous position.
- How do you evaluate the effectiveness of PR communication events or campaigns?