Director of Advancement
Responsible for implementation of a broad range of fundraising activities for their assigned unit(s), focused primarily on acquiring major gifts. The incumbent will lead the development and support programs for the unit. Primary responsibility will be identifying, cultivating and soliciting potential individual, corporate and foundation donors in support of their assigned units.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Maintain a portfolio of approximately 75-100 major gift donors.
- Work with assigned unit to develop, implement and sustain a comprehensive multi-year plan.
- Manage a portfolio of principal gift prospects, coordinated with UF development practices.
- Coordinate all fundraising activities, including identification, qualification, assignment of prospects, as well as cultivation, solicitation, closure, and stewardship.
- Build and maintain a strong development team.
- Effectively manage the unit development office.
- Plan and monitor the Development office budget.
- Participate with senior leadership teams in setting direction and developing fundraising strategies that meet the funding needs and vision of the assigned unit.
- Oversee councils.
- Assist in developing and implementing a comprehensive communications plan to identify and inform the local, national and international audiences of members, friends and UF alumni.
- Create a structured process for the identification, recruitment, evaluation, recognition, and replacement of volunteers to strengthen fundraising effectiveness.
- Serves as the primary fundraiser for assigned unit(s) and will lead and execute the major gift program
Education and Experience
Master’s degree in appropriate area of specialization and three years of appropriate experience in Development or a related field; or a bachelor’s degree in appropriate areas of specialization and five years of experience in Development or a related field. One year of supervisory experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position does have supervisory responsibility.
- Relationship Mastery**
- Donor Focus**
- Credibility **
- Entrepreneurial Spirit**
- Engaging Communication**
- Strategic Thinking**
- Mission Driven**
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.