Research & Development Manager
Manages and directs the research and development programs to meet organizational needs and to capitalize on potential new products. Develops and implements research and development procedures and techniques. Familiar with a variety of the field’s concepts, practices, and procedures. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Recommends and implements operating policies and procedures.
- Plans and participates in research projects.
- Directs and modifies research plans.
- Prepares and monitors operating budget.
- Develops methods and techniques for, and evaluates results of, experiments or studies.
- Prepares and reviews manuscripts for publication and presentations at scientific meetings.
- Formulate mathematical or simulation models of problems, relating constants and variables, restrictions, alternatives, conflicting objectives, and their numerical parameters.
- Collaborate with senior managers and decision makers to identify and solve a variety of problems and to clarify management objectives.
- Collaborate with others in the organization to ensure successful implementation of chosen problem solutions.
- Prepare management reports defining and evaluating problems and recommending solutions.
- Study and analyze information about alternative courses of action to determine which plan will offer the best outcomes.
- Specify manipulative or computational methods to be applied to models.
- Perform validation and testing of models to ensure adequacy and reformulate models as necessary.
- Define data requirements and gather and validate information, applying judgment and statistical tests.
- Analyze information obtained from management to conceptualize and define operational problems.
- Observe the current system in operation and gather and analyze information about each of the parts of component problems, using a variety of sources.
Education and Experience
Master’s degree in an appropriate area of study and seven years of experience in the field.
Licensure and Certification
This position does include supervisory responsibility.
- Business Process Design
- Conflict Management
- Effectiveness Measurement
- Industry Knowledge
- Interpersonal Relationships
- Planning: Tactical, Strategic
- Product Development Best Practices: Research, Identification, And Application
- Qualitative Research
- Quantitative Research
- Research And Development Function
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.