Understanding of how to anticipate, recognize, and deal effectively with existing or potential conflicts at the individual, group, or situation level; ability to apply this understanding appropriately to diverse situations.
Discusses the causes of conflict; describes typical scenarios that lead to conflict.
Demonstrates willingness to examine own position.
Cites instances of healthy and destructive conflicts.
Identifies potential and actual conflicts in own area.
Uses active listening skills and probing techniques to understand cause of a conflict.
Facilitates reconciliation rather than divisiveness among individuals.
Uses a specific methodology for conflict resolution.
Under guidance, appropriately confronts others to get issues out in the open.
Identifies and maximizes areas of agreement in order to mitigate tensions.
Surfaces disagreements in early stages.
Demonstrates good judgment in deciding when to involve a third party.
Mediates and resolves conflicts among individuals, groups, and departments.
Practices positive collaboration and converts difficult interactions into productive ones.
Guides participants in a conflict to rethink their current views.
Makes parties aware of case studies of constructive and destructive conflicts.
Monitors industry for insights and tools for managing conflicts.
Coaches others in the value and tactics of conflict management and use of diplomacy.
Creates a climate where disagreement is regarded as healthy and resolvable.
Mediates adversary relations between highly charged individuals or groups.
Evaluates alternative conflict resolution strategies in context of organization's culture.
Transforms stressful disagreements and hostile situations into win-win resolutions.
- Tell me about a time when conflict ultimately made a process/project/deliverable more successful. How was conflict helpful?
- Tell me about a time when you were conflicted with yourself. What was the issue and how did you decide on the resolution?
- Tell me about a time when you helped two colleagues resolve a conflict. How did you stay impartial but still help them reach a conclusion?
- Tell me about a conflict you had with a colleague, where a satisfactory resolution could not be reached. What was the outcome?
- Tell me about a conflict you had with a colleague. How was it resolved?