Senior Claims Attorney
Positions perform a variety of legal and related non-legal work associated with claims, litigation, and loss prevention activities of the Self-Insurance Program. Serve as an expert consultant with responsibility for a covered entity. Train and mentor other claims staff.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Serves as an expert consultant and advisor to the Self-Insurance Program Council, committees, boards, and covered entities.
- Identifies, investigates, analyzes and evaluates medical, legal, and fiscal issues related to potential or asserted claims.
- Analyzes and interprets federal, state, and local statutes and administrative rules applicable to Self-Insurance Program operations.
- Reviews and prepares legal documents, such as memos, responses, briefs, and settlements.
- Represents covered entities during statements, depositions, and other legal proceedings.
- Negotiates claims settlements within authorized limits.
- Coordinates with loss prevention staff on mitigation or removal of incident risk factors.
- Participates in the implementation of liability risk management functions and provides advice and assistance on patient care liabilities and protocols.
- Serves as claims lead for specific SIP-covered entity.
Education and Experience
Law degree (L.L.B. or J.D.) and three years of experience in the legal, medical, or healthcare fields.
Licensure and Certification
Must be a member in good standing of the Florida Bar or become a member within twelve months of employment.
This position may include supervisory responsibility.
- Business Ethics
- Conflict Management
- Problem Solving
- Effective Communications
- Decision Making And Critical Thinking
- Relationship Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Legal Function
- Legal Analysis
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.