Senior Litigation Attorney
This position serves as a litigation attorney for the Self-Insurance Programs (SIP).
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Supervise claims management personnel in their timely identification, investigation, management, and resolution of all covered claims against entities protected by the SIP.
- Identify, investigate, analyze, and evaluate medical, legal, and fiscal issues related to covered claims against SIP participants.
- Evaluate claims in terms of negligence, causation, and compensable damages.
- Coordinate, manage, and resolve (including denial, settlement, or defense) of all covered claims with or without notice of intent against UF SIP Participants, including pre-suit and administrative processes.
- Track the progress of all assigned cases.
- Identify risk factors which cause or contribute to claims and suits.
- Coordinate effort with the UF SIP’s Loss Prevention staff to mitigate or remove identified risk factors.
- Responsible for reviewing and tracking proposed and existing contract, affiliation agreements, markets materials, and other items submitted by insured for assessing and determining liability.
Education and Experience
Law degree (L.L.B. or J.D.) and five years of experience in the legal, medical, or healthcare fields.
Licensure and Certification
Must be a member in good standing of the Florida Bar or become a member within twelve months of employment.
This position may include supervisory responsibility.
- Business Ethics
- Conflict Management
- Problem Solving
- Effective Communications
- Coaching Others
- Decision Making And Critical Thinking
- Relationship Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Legal Function
- Legal Analysis
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.