Associate University Counsel
Responsible to the General Counsel or appropriate administrator. Assumes the responsibility for the operation of the office of the General Counsel in the absence of the General Counsel. May be delegated responsibility for the overall direction and management of specific areas of the legal function of the university.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Assists in planning, organizing, and directing all legal activities involving the university.
- Advises and consults with university or Board officials on legal rights and obligations and assists in the formulation of legal policy.
- Represents the Board, university, or employees before courts and administrative bodies in cases involving the Board, university, or employees.
- May assist in drafting proposed legislation for the Board or university. May assist in reviewing and negotiating contracts, as required.
- Performs related duties as required or deemed appropriate to the accomplishment of the responsibilities and functions of his/her area.
Education and Experience
Law degree (L.L.B or J.D.) and two years of experience as an attorney. Must be a member of the Florida Bar or become a member within twelve months of employment.
Licensure and Certification
This position does not typically have supervisory responsibility.
- Business Ethics
- Conflict Management
- Problem Solving
- Effective Communications
- Coaching Others
- Decision Making And Critical Thinking
- Relationship Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Legal Function
- Legal Analysis
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.