Workers Compensation Specialist
This position manages the university’s workers compensation program. Manages the development, implementation, maintenance and communication of workers’ compensation programs, policies and processes.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Designs, plans, and implements a comprehensive workers compensation program. Interprets and communicates university regulations, policies and procedures, and applicable federal/state employment laws. Ensures workers’ compensation policies and procedures are consistently applied.
- Advises injured employees regarding workers’ compensation policy and procedures. Notifies employees of their rights, responsibilities, and legal requirements under applicable university regulations as well as state and federal laws.
- Advises departments in the application of the university’s workers’ compensation procedures. Coordinates with departments, medical providers, Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) to evaluate work restrictions, job duties and possible accommodations for injured employees. Supports the Modified Duty program.
- Coordinates workers’ compensation claim investigations, settlements, and litigation with university counsel and the State Division of Risk Management and the workers compensation case management vendor.
Education and Experience
A bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and three years of appropriate experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position may have supervisory responsibility.
- Operational Functions
- Global Perspective
- Risk Management
- Conflict Management
- HR Policies, Standards, And Procedures
- HR Legal And Regulatory Environment
- Claim Investigation
- Compensation Management
- Workers’ Compensation Loss Control
- Occupational Safety And Health Standards (OSHS) Compliance
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.