Planning: Tactical, Strategic
Ability to contribute to operational (short term), tactical (1-2 years) and strategic (3-5 years) planning in support of the overall business plan.
Defines concepts of short-term and long-term planning.
Compares tactical to strategic planning.
Explains tactical plan for own area.
Describes the planning process and planning cycle used in own area.
Contributes to short-term operational plans.
Monitors progress of work against plan as required to meet objectives.
Reports variances and makes agreed-upon corrections.
Under guidance, develops tactical plan for own direct responsibility.
Anticipates and adapts to plan changes.
Develops, refines, and communicates tactical plans for own responsibilities.
Plans for allocation of resources in line with unit goals, technical and business objectives.
Provides the right level of detail as input for strategic plan development.
Demonstrates the value and necessity of linking tactical plans to overall strategic plan.
Ensures the planning process is integrated with the overall business plan.
Ensures attention to the detail and dependencies of existing departmental-level plans.
Contributes to the overall strategic business goals and plans of the organization.
Creates and implements a strategy for supporting current and future business needs.
Directs the development, maintenance, and communication of own function's strategic plan.
Reviews and consults on the final strategic plan in collaboration with the business units.
Develops long-term strategies to deliver services that keep pace with technology trends.
Monitors industry for innovations in planning processes.
- How did you measure the progress of plans for which you were responsible?
- How did you respond to resistance from plan stakeholders?
- Tell me about a time that you had to revise a plan (either tactical or strategic) to reflect changing business priorities.
- Tell me about a strategic plan that you developed and implemented, and describe how it impacted your organization.
- Tell me about a tactical plan that you developed and implemented, and describe how it impacted your organization.