Leads the content and media development and publication of materials for internal or external publication. Engage in promoting or creating an intended public image for individuals, groups, or organizations. May write or select material for release to various communications media.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Creates, implements and oversees communications programs that effectively describe and promote the organization and its products.
- Develops external media relations and establishes rapport to present positive image of organization to external sources.
- Reviews media coverage and oversees press releases for publication to external sources.
- Oversees work of internal publication staff to ensure timely and accurate portrayal of messages and materials.
- Respond to requests for information from the media or designate an appropriate spokesperson or information source.
- Write press releases or other media communications to promote clients.
- Establish or maintain cooperative relationships with representatives of community, consumer, employee, or public interest groups.
- Plan or direct development or communication of programs to maintain favorable public or stockholder perceptions of an organization’s accomplishments, agenda, or environmental responsibility.
- Study the objectives, promotional policies, or needs of organizations to develop public relations strategies that will influence public opinion or promote ideas, products, or services.
- Coach client representatives in effective communication with the public or with employees.
- Update and maintain content posted on the Web.
- Confer with other managers to identify trends or key group interests or concerns or to provide advice on business decisions.
- Prepare or edit organizational publications, such as employee newsletters or stockholders’ reports, for internal or external audiences.
- Coordinate public responses to environmental management incidents or conflicts
Education and Experience
Master’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization; or a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and two years of appropriate experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position does have supervisory responsibility.
- Knowledge Of Organization
- Interpersonal Relationships
- Managing Multiple Priorities
- Problem Solving
- Organizational Communications
- Organizational Savvy And Politics
- Planning: Tactical, Strategic
- Decision Making And Critical Thinking
- Internal Communications
- News Media Communications
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.