Residence Hall Director
Reports to a Coordinator, University Housing Residence Life (UHRL) or other appropriate administrator in the management of one or more aspects of a non-traditional or specialized university housing and residence life unit. This position is responsible for the management of a specialized residential environment such as graduate and family housing, living learning communities, and public-private partnerships. Formulates and recommends the effectiveness of and direction of functional policies of programs or functions. The primary duty is the management of undergraduate or graduate student staff members in the residence halls. This position reports to a Coordinator, (UHRL) or other appropriate administrator.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Plans, coordinates, and reports on the activities of the residence life programs administered by the non-traditional university housing area, and assists in developing and implementing procedures for the programs in the university housing area.
- Participates in resolving administrative, residence life, and resident student issues and concerns with the appropriate departmental administrator. Identifies and communicates specialized community needs.
- Establishes performance goals and measures to evaluate success of assigned area of responsibility (typically non-traditional communities).
- Supervises the day-to-day operations of assigned residence hall area including the supervision of departmental employees. Provides guidance and direction to staff involved in department services and programs.
- Selects, trains, supervises, evaluates, and develops a student staff, consisting of graduate and undergraduate student staff who shall jointly assist in the development of a residential environment for learning.
- Responsible for developing, implementing, participating, and encouraging the residential community to promote educational, social, and community programs; works with academic and community partners; works with the Coordinator, (UHRL) or other appropriate administrator in planning and implementing various community development activities.
- Ensures that all programs, activities, and services comply with university, state, and federal regulations.
- Responsible for maintaining an inclusive working environment that is free from discrimination and harassment.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Coordinator, (UHRL) or other appropriate administrator.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization.
Licensure and Certification
Exercised – Provides supervision and direction to undergraduate and graduate student staff of assigned unit. Supervise OPS, TEAMS, and other support personnel.
Received – Receives direction from Coordinator, University Housing Residence Life (UHRL) or other appropriate administrator
- Operational Functions
- Service Excellence
- Risk Management
- Planning: Tactical, Strategic
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Premises Operation And Maintenance
- Problem Solving
- Effective Communications
- Interpersonal Relationships
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.