Project Manager I
Under direct supervision, oversees a small project or phases of a larger project. Works with customer(s) to define project scope and objectives. Responsible for identifying appropriate resources needed, and developing schedules to ensure timely completion of project. The Project Manager will work in collaboration with project stakeholders within the assigned business unit to define project scope, goals, and deliverables working towards business needs. Develops work plans, resource plans, project estimates and status reports as needed based upon the size, scope and expected resource utilization of each project. Ensures adherence to quality standards, UF policies, procedures and best practices, and reviews project deliverables.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Meets with customer to determine customer expectations regarding the project.
- Conducts project meetings and communicates project status with customers, project team members, vendors and supervisors
- Researches, analyzes, and seeks resources for resolution of issues that impede project progress
- Establish and maintain relationships with the business units and key partner groups to understand their business needs, ensure alignment on objectives, and ensure ongoing buy-in across all project activities.
- Translate business objectives into projects with clearly defined scope, timing, deliverables, resources, and key measures of success.
- Create project plans, including timelines and milestones.
- Effectively set and communicate project expectations to stakeholders.
- Facilitate meetings and drive project issues through to resolution.
- Develop and deliver progress reports, proposals, requirements documentation and presentations.
- Proactively manage and communicate ongoing changes in project scope, identify potential crises and devise contingency plans.
- Support the continuous development of best practices and tools for project management and execution.
- Conduct post project assessments and evaluations.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Licensure and Certification
This position does not typically include supervisory responsibilities.
- Operational Functions
- Planning: Tactical, Strategic
- Process Management
- Problem Solving
- Effective Communications
- Managing Multiple Priorities
- Analytical Thinking
- Project Management
- Interpersonal Relationships
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.