Director Prospect Strategy/Research
This position serves as an essential member of the Advancement team to establish overall goals and strategies for increasing private support and engagement for the University. Responsible for the planning and implementation of a comprehensive program of prospect research, prospect strategy, data management, and analysis.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Implement a comprehensive prospect identification program that identifies, rates, and recommends prospects for the university across all programs (annual fund through principal giving).
- Implement a comprehensive program of quality prospect research (biographic, financial, and philanthropic) to support cultivation and solicitation activity by advancement staff, campus partners (such as Deans) and campaign volunteers as appropriate.
- Proactively manage alerts and other proactive research tools to keep fundraisers up to date on principal gifts prospects (changes to wealth, employment, philanthropy, and other news).
- Develop and implement policies and standards for donor/prospect research projects with the primary focus on major and principal gifts.
- Work closely with leadership to maximize effectiveness of fundraiser portfolios.
- Lead portfolio review meetings and assists development officers in developing targeted strategies toward solicitation.
- Manage the assignment (and reassignment, including prospect clearance) of prospects and partners with the AVPs to ensure that fundraising activity is coordinated and prospects are moved successfully through the fundraising cycle.
- Provide quantitative and qualitative analysis of pipeline activity and movement to drive strategic planning across Advancement, including modeling and donor journey analytics.
- Collaborate with the Data Services and Strategy & Operations to make recommendations for database modifications needed to support effective reporting and analysis.
- Lead the strategic and long range planning for new initiatives and programs designed to enhance the donor relations and/or stewardship activities of assigned college or campus.
- Oversee annual strategic business plan and budget for the unit.
- Will directly supervise, train and direct the work of assigned staff.
Education and Experience
Master’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and six years of relevant experience in prospect research or related field; or a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and eight years of relevant experience in prospect research or related field.
Licensure and Certification
This position does have supervisory responsibility.
- Stakeholder Focus**
- Manages Execution**
- Effective Communication**
- Critical Thinking**
- Organizational Acumen**
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.