Staff Auditor II
The Staff Auditor conducts financial, information technology, operational, performance, compliance and other audits or reviews as assigned. Under the supervision of departmental leadership, the Staff Auditor will participate in the planning, fieldwork, testing and data analysis, interviewing, evaluation of internal control processes, identification of observations, and preparation of reports in accordance with Office of Internal Audit (OIA) procedures and applicable professional auditing standards.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Conduct audits and reviews including assessing risks; evaluating internal control design and effectiveness; developing and executing audit programs, work plans, and performing fieldwork, testing and data analysis.
- Prepare work papers and reports consistent with audit plan procedures with a high level of technical accuracy, grammatical accuracy and structure, in adherence to OIA procedures and applicable and professional auditing standards.
- Provide frequent updates to audit supervisor on status of assigned work including immediate communication of any issues or challenges.
- Collaborate with University of Florida management to assess the impact of internal control deficiencies and develop recommendations.
- Work with audit supervisor to compile information and observations for verbal or written presentation to management.
- Effectively meet agreed-upon audit and review completion timelines, while also participating in other organizational initiatives.
- Identify opportunities for reducing costs, improving processes, and enhancing the University’s image in the community.
- Ensure that the internal audit quality assurance requirements as promulgated by the IIA and related professional standards are followed, practiced and support any independent external assessments.
- Maintain professional proficiency via continuing professional education, participating in professional associations, while staying abreast of leading practices, industry trends, and emerging risks.
- Assist in the preparation of an annual risk assessment.
- Participate in investigations as necessary.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, finance, economics, or related field.
- A minimum of 1 to 2 years’ experience with either a “Big 4” accounting firm, a mid-level accounting firm, and/or a mid to large corporation’s internal audit department.
Licensure and Certification
Certification as a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA), or other audit related certifications, preferred or working toward obtaining the license by taking and passing the applicable CIA or CPA state exam.
This position does not typically have supervisory responsibility.
- Audit And Compliance Function
- Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance
- Internal Controls
- Data Gathering And Reporting
- Accuracy And Attention To Detail
- Effective Communications
- Problem Solving
- Process Management
- Quality Management
- Business Orientation
- Service Excellence
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.