Laboratory Technician I
This is work performing established laboratory procedures (entry-level). Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job. Works under immediate supervision. Performs research activities and other tasks as necessary in a laboratory environment. Records observations and measurements and reports results. Responsible for cleaning, disinfecting, and maintaining cleanrooms and equipment. Assists with receipt and inspection of raw materials, and ordering and stocking of materials and equipment. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Performs a variety of standard laboratory tests and analyses.
- Operates and maintains a variety of laboratory equipment.
- Dissects tissues and prepares specimens and samples for study.
- Collects and prepares samples following established procedures.
- Performs field work by gathering data and collecting samples.
- Collects and organizes data and documents results.
- Prepares standard volumetric solutions or reagents to be combined with samples, following standardized formulas or experimental procedures.
- Measures or weighs compounds and solutions for use in testing or animal feed.
- Keeps detailed logs of all work-related activities.
- Maintains, cleans, or sterilizes laboratory instruments or equipment.
- Cleans, maintains, and prepares supplies and work areas.
- Assists with ordering and inventory of materials to maintain supplies.
Education and Experience
Associate’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization or a high school diploma and two years of related experience. Appropriate college course work or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position does not typically include supervisory responsibility.
- Employee Health And Safety
- Problem Solving
- Accuracy And Attention To Detail
- Laboratory Equipment Operation
- Laboratory Supply And Inventory Management
- Internal Resource Coordination
- General Computer Competencies
- Laboratory Practice Quality Assurance (LPQA)
- Scheduling Work And Activities
- Health, Safety, And Environment (HSE) Policy Compliance
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.