Senior Lead Auditor
The Senior Lead Internal Auditor will be responsible for leading and executing complex level audits and advisory projects. This position participates in the evaluation of the adequacy, effectiveness, and efficiency of controls and identifies weaknesses, along with providing recommendations to mitigate those weaknesses for complex level audits. This position is required to be able to work under limited supervision. The Senior Lead Internal Auditor also coordinates, supervises, and conducts audit assignments. This may include leading audit teams and supervising the work of other professional staff on a project basis.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Perform internal audit work of a complex nature involving a high degree of problem solving and diagnostic responsibilities.
- Conduct audits and reviews of a high degree of complexity, including assessing risks; evaluating internal control design and effectiveness; developing and executing audit programs, work plans, resource budgets; and performing fieldwork, testing and data analysis.
- Execute control design and operating effectiveness testing over areas that require a deeper understanding of the business or function under review as part of internal audit reviews and activities.
- Prepare work papers and reports consistent with audit plan procedures with a high level of technical accuracy, grammatical accuracy and structure, in adherence to OIA procedures and applicable and professional auditing standards.
- Supervise the audit and assign project tasks to staff and senior internal auditors who assist in performing analysis, critiques and evaluations.
- Review documentation, results and conclusions of tasks performed by staff and senior internal auditors ensuring the success and professional standards of the assignment, and the on-going professional development of the individuals involved.
- Proactively develop staff and seniors through meaningful on-the-job training and prepare evaluations for staff and senior performances on the assignment.
- Provide leadership, guidance, and mentorship to staff and seniors.
- Develop meaningful recommendations for management to improve the adequacy, effectiveness and efficiency of controls and operations.
- Develop and maintain relationships with auditees at appropriate levels and commit to continually improving customer satisfaction.
- Stay abreast of general business/economic developments and new pronouncements/standards, to gain an understanding of their links and impact to the University’s business.
- Use a variety of data analysis techniques and innovative approaches to analyze performance and identify areas for improvement.
- Monitor work assignments to ensure timely completion and performance of quality assurance reviews of work papers and report drafts to ensure the completeness, accuracy, and objectivity of audit reports, and consistency with auditing standards.
- Frequently interact with project team, and internal and external functional peers and auditee/senior management.
- Work autonomously or as part of a team to deliver a portfolio of internal audit projects within agreed timeframes;
- Aid management in understanding internal control weaknesses, and how to enhance the effectiveness of operations through the presentation and discussion of audit findings and practical value add recommendations;
- Provide frequent updates to OIA management on status of assigned work including immediate communication of any issues or challenges.
- Ensure that the internal audit quality assurance requirements as promulgated by the IIA and related professional standards are followed, practiced and support any independent external assessments.
- Maintain professional proficiency via continuing professional education, participating and presenting at professional associations, while staying abreast of leading practices, industry trends, and emerging risks.
- Assist in the preparation of an annual risk assessment.
- Be a leading example of the principles and values embodied in the University’s Code of Conduct, and behave, act and communicate at all times to reflect fairness, ethics and professionalism.
- Participate in investigations as necessary
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s or master’s degree in accounting, business, finance, economics, or related field. Minimum of 6 plus years’ experience with either a “Big 4” accounting firm, a mid-level accounting firm, and/or a mid to large corporation’s internal audit department.
Licensure and Certification
Certification as a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA), or other audit related certifications.
- Audit And Compliance Function
- Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance
- Internal Controls
- Data Gathering And Reporting
- Accuracy And Attention To Detail
- Effective Communications
- Problem Solving
- Process Management
- Quality Management
- Business Orientation
- Service Excellence
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.