Benefits Specialist I
This position provides support in the administration of a comprehensive health and welfare program for the university. Assists in the implementation of complex benefits related procedures and policies. Resolves escalated customer and vendor concerns.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Assists in the management and coordination of benefits workflows to ensure compliance with university regulations, benefit program guidelines, and applicable federal, state, and local laws.
- Assists in the collection, processing, and overall quality of benefits data.
- Develops liaison relationship with managers, department heads, and human resource representatives of assigned areas. Provides guidance and answers questions related to assigned area.
- Provides guidance and assistance to university personnel regarding human resources policies and procedures.
- Compiles information regarding benefits enrollments, transactions, budgets, and costs for financial analysis.
- Resolves routine issues and employee concerns such as medical claims, documentation requests, training enrollments, etc.
- Resolves complaints and concerns from customers and other stakeholders.
- Communicates with benefits vendors to ensure complaints and problems are resolved in a timely manner.
Education and Experience
A bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and one year of appropriate experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position does not typically have supervisory responsibility.
- Service Excellence
- Office Support Tools
- Information Capture
- Accuracy And Attention To Detail
- Internal Resource Coordination
- Records Management And Archiving
- Data Gathering And Reporting
- HR Policies, Standards, And Procedures
- HR Legal And Regulatory Environment
- Benefits Programs
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.