This position is the primary on air talent and behind the scenes manager for weather content being produced and delivered through the College of Journalism and Communication Division of Multimedia Properties, including but not limited to the Florida Public Radio Emergency Network of stations, associated websites, social media accounts, and mobile products.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Oversees web and new media based weather-related products for the division of Multimedia Properties.
- Works in conjunction with creative services to promote long term weather sponsor opportunities for clients and underwriters.
- Participates in strategic planning related to weather-oriented products.
- Ensures the web and new media products related to weather assets are of the highest quality, and meets the needs of the division and viewers, listeners, and users.
- Prepare and present daily forecast products to be distributed on radio, television, the internet and mobile or social media applications.
- Prepare weather reports or maps for analysis, distribution, or use in weather broadcasts, using computer graphics.
- Interpret data, reports, maps, photographs, or charts to predict long or short range weather conditions, using computer models and knowledge of climate theory, physics, and mathematics.
- Develop or use mathematical or computer models for weather forecasting.
- Gather data from sources such as surface or upper air stations, satellites, weather bureaus, or radar for use in meteorological reports.
Education and Experience
A bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and four years of appropriate experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position may have supervisory responsibility.
- Oral Communications
- Accuracy And Attention To Detail
- Content Evaluation
- Interpersonal Relationships
- Flexibility And Adaptability
- Effective Communications
- News Media Communications
- Copywriting And Editing
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.