Laboratory Technician III
This is work implementing and evaluating laboratory procedures and data. Performs research activities and analysis. Records observations and measurements and reports results. Responsible for analyzing and preparing results for publication. Works under general supervision. A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager. May supervise junior laboratory personnel.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Implements and conducts a variety of laboratory experiments.
- Analyzes experimental data and interpret results to write reports and summaries of findings.
- Prepares graphs and tables to document experimental results for publication.
- Performs literature reviews.
- Trains others in laboratory methods and procedures.
- Designs and supervises the construction of laboratory research equipment.
- Prepares laboratory specimens and cultures for experimentation.
- Compile and interpret results of tests and analyses.
- Conduct research, including the collection of information and samples, such as blood, water, soil, plants and animals.
- Consults with researchers regarding laboratory procedures and experiments.
- Provide and maintain a safe work environment by participating in safety programs, committees, or teams and by conducting laboratory or plant safety audits.
Education and Experience
Associate’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and four years of related experience or a high school diploma and six years of related experience. Appropriate college course work or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position may include supervisory responsibility.
- Accuracy And Attention To Detail
- Problem Solving
- Office Support Tools
- General Computer Competencies
- Laboratory Supply And Inventory Management
- Scheduling Work And Activities
- Desktop Tools
- Laboratory Equipment Operation
- Employee Health And Safety
- Internal Resource Coordination
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.