Photograph people, landscapes, merchandise, or other subjects, using digital or film cameras and equipment. May develop negatives or use computer software to produce finished images and prints. Includes scientific photographers, aerial photographers, and photojournalists.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Use traditional or digital cameras, along with a variety of equipment such as tripods, filters, and flash attachments.
- Determine desired images and picture composition, selecting and adjusting subjects, equipment, and lighting to achieve desired effects.
- Adjust apertures, shutter speeds, and camera focus based on a combination of factors such as lighting, field depth, subject motion, film type, and film speed.
- Create artificial light, using flashes and reflectors.
- Manipulate and enhance scanned or digital images to create desired effects, using computers and specialized software.
- Transfer photographs to computers for editing, archiving, and electronic transmission.
- Determine project goals, locations, and equipment needs by studying assignments and consulting with clients or advertising staff.
- Review sets of photographs to select the best work.
- Perform general office duties such as scheduling appointments, keeping books, and ordering supplies.
- Estimate or measure light levels, distances, and numbers of exposures needed, using measuring devices and formulas.
Education and Experience
A high school diploma and four years of appropriate experience. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position does not typically have supervisory responsibility.
- Products And Services
- Accuracy And Attention To Detail
- Multimedia Tools
- Organizational Communications
- Graphic Design
- Graphic Tools
- Multimedia Technologies
- Web Publishing Tools
- Content Evaluation
- Publication Processes And Techniques
- Graphic Visualization
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.