Assistant Director, Emergency Management
Assists the Director of Emergency Management and Assistant Vice President of Environmental and Public Safety in the overall management and implementation of all aspects of Emergency Management program. Contributes to the delivery and/or establishment of functional policies and programs relating to core emergency management mission areas – Prevention, Preparedness, Mitigation, Response and Recovery. Key member of University teams to include the Emergency Operations Team, UF Alert Working Group, emergency planning cohorts and exercise development teams in support of the University’s Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan. Leads teams in absence of Emergency Management Director.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Assists the director or other appropriate administration in the overall management of the Department of Emergency Management and may function as the Director in his/her absence. Reviews proposed projects and ensures compliance with federal, state, and university regulations.
- Serves as part of a department’s and University leadership teams.
- Leads strategic emergency planning and policy analysis in many University functions and assists the Director in developing and implementing the overall strategic plan.
- Establishes performance goals and measures to evaluate success of assigned area of responsibilities.
- Assists the Director in formulating and implementing University-level emergency management policies and procedures.
- Oversees the day-to-day operations of emergency management mission areas (Prevention, Preparedness, Mitigation, Response and Recovery).
- Responsible for ensuring the all programs, activities, and series comply with university, state, and federal regulations.
- Responsible for maintaining an inclusive working environment that is free from discrimination and harassment.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director or other appropriate administrator.
Education and Experience
Master’s degree in an appropriate area and four years of relevant experience; or a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area and six years of relevant experience.
Licensure and Certification
- National or Florida Professional Emergency Manager certification. (IAEM CEM and/or FEPA FPEM) (Must have, or submit for certification within 12 months of hire date and successfully receive certification.)
- Master Exercise Practitioner (MEP) (Must have, or be enrolled in appropriate training class within 24 months of hire date and successfully receive certification at end of training.)
This position does have supervisory responsibility.
- Emotional Intelligence*
- Facilitative Decision Making*
- Fair and Legal Management*
- Financial Management*
- Political Savvy*
- Problem Solving*
- Role Model*
- Strategic Thinking*
- Talent Selection*
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.