Assistant Director, Florida Agricultural Experiment Station
Assists the Director or other appropriate administrator in the management of one or more aspects of the Florida Agricultural Experiment Station (FAES). This position is generally responsible for the management of a segment or a major function of the FAES. Assists in the analysis of the effectiveness of and establishes future direction for functional policies and programs. This position reports to the Director of FAES.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Works directly with the director to provide administrative oversight for the IFAS research enterprise.
- Liaises with REC and site directors to advance research
- Prioritizes needs and advises the director on research activity and environmental stewardship opportunities for FAES interaction and investment.
- Works with IFAS Facilities and other appropriate units to facilitate FAES infrastructure investments at RECs and Sites.
- Assists the director in management of special agricultural programs and collaborations with the extension and teaching missions of IFAS at REC and site locations.
- Identifies regional and statewide trends, issues, and opportunities in agricultural production.
- Develops relationships with statewide commodity organizations, appropriate state agencies and their leadership.
- Represents IFAS Research Dean and/or Associate Deans at grower meetings, field days and events, and other functions.
- Assist with state and federal government relations as it pertains to FAES and its agricultural efforts, projects, and initiatives.
Education and Experience
Master’s degree in an appropriate area and five years of relevant experience; or a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area and ten years of relevant experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position does have supervisory responsibility.
*The Assistant Director title may be used when a key contributor does not have the management responsibilities but leads a function with significant impact to campus operations or external relations. Requires approval by Classification and Compensation.
- Emotional Intelligence*
- Facilitative Decision Making*
- Fair and Legal Management*
- Financial Management*
- Political Savvy*
- Problem Solving*
- Role Model*
- Strategic Thinking*
- Talent Selection*
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.