Associate Director, Health Care Administration
Assists the Director or other appropriate administrator in the overall management and administrative direction of all aspects of a healthcare related unit and/or function. Oversees and directs healthcare organizations that deliver clinical care through direct patient care in areas such as student health, emergency medicine, nursing, health education initiatives, and clinical operations. This position is generally responsible for the management of a department or major function. Assists in the analysis of the effectiveness of and establishes future direction for functional policies and programs. The primary duty is the management of other managers, professionals, and support staff*. This position reports to a Vice President, Assistant/Associate Vice President, Director, or other appropriate administrator. This position may not report to another Associate Director.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Assists the Director in oversight of operational and patient care activities of assigned area in accordance with health system policies as well as state and federal regulations. Oversees facility activities and data to aid in planning, risk management, and to improve service utilization.
- Maintains awareness of advances in medicine, diagnostic and treatment equipment, data processing technology, government regulations, and health insurances changes.
- Monitors the use of services, facilities, and staff to ensure effective use of resources and assesses the need for additional equipment, staff, and services.
- Serves as part of a department’s leadership team.
- Leads planning for assigned areas and assists the Director in developing and implementing the overall departmental strategic plan.
- Establishes performance goals and measures to evaluate success of assigned area of responsibility.
- Assists the Director in formulating and implementing policies and procedures.
- Oversees the day-to-day operations of assigned area including the supervisor of departmental employees. Provides guidance and direction to staff involved in department services and programs.
- Responsible for ensuring the all programs, activities, and series comply with university, state, and federal regulations.
- Responsible for maintaining an inclusive working environment that is free from discrimination and harassment.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director or other appropriate administrator.
Education and Experience
Master’s degree in appropriate area of specialization and four years of appropriate experience or a bachelor’s degree in appropriate areas of specialization and six years of experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position does have supervisory responsibility.
- Emotional Intelligence*
- Facilitative Decision Making*
- Fair and Legal Management*
- Financial Management*
- Political Savvy*
- Problem Solving*
- Role Model*
- Strategic Thinking*
- Talent Selection*
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.