Director, Education or Training Programs
Responsible for the operational management and administrative direction of an education or training unit and/or function with broad responsibility. This position directs the long-range strategic planning, operations, and/or administrative activities of a department or major function. Analyzes the effectiveness of and establishes future direction for functional policies and programs. Responsible for the development and direction of one or more education or training programs. The primary duty is the management of other managers, professionals, and support staff*. This position reports to a Vice President, Assistant/Associate Vice President, Associate Dean, or other appropriate administrator. This position may not report to another Director.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Responsible for the direction of an education or training unit for a college, department, or major function. Oversees the development and implementation of one or more complex education or training programs. Oversees the design, development, and delivery of education or training programs.
- Translates strategic and tactical business plans into department-specific operational plans. Has latitude to make operational decisions within broadly defined parameters and decision require a high level of judgement. Deviations from university policies generally require higher managerial approval.
- Establishes the direction, goals, implementation strategy and policies of the department or unit within an administrative area.
- Directs the efforts of and supervises departmental staff, sets performance standards and accountability. Has the authority to propose, uphold, modify or revoke notices of proposed dismissals or suspensions.
- Formulates and administers the annual operating budget. With appropriate approval, may procure agreements for materials or services.
- Advises senior administrators in implementing programs, new initiatives, and special projects.
- Responsible for ensuring the all programs, activities, and series comply with university, state, and federal regulations.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining partnerships throughout the University. Oversees communications, promotions, and public relations for department in order to achieve departmental goals and objectives.
- Serves on various university, division and departmental committees and represents the department at various state and national associations.
- Responsible for maintaining an inclusive working environment that is free from discrimination and harassment.
Education and Experience
Master’s degree in appropriate area of specialization and six years of appropriate experience or a bachelor’s degree in appropriate areas of specialization and eight years of experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position does have supervisory responsibility.
- Emotional Intelligence*
- Facilitative Decision Making*
- Fair and Legal Management*
- Financial Management*
- Political Savvy*
- Problem Solving*
- Role Model*
- Strategic Thinking*
- Talent Selection*
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.