Director, Environmental Health & Safety
Responsible for the overall management and administrative direction of all aspects of Environmental Health & Safety. Analyzes the effectiveness of and establishes future direction for functional policies and programs. The primary duty is the management of other directors, managers, and support professionals. This position reports to a Vice President, Assistant/Associate Vice President, or other appropriate administrator. This position may not report to another Director.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Responsible for the overall management of the Environmental Health & Safety unit. Directs the review of proposed projects and ensures compliance with federal, state, and university regulations.
- Serves as part of a department’s leadership team.
- Leads the strategic planning for assigned areas and leads in developing and implementing the overall departmental strategic plan.
- Establishes performance goals and measures to evaluate success of assigned area of responsibility.
- Responsible for formulating and implementing policies and procedures.
- Oversees the day-to-day operations of assigned area including the supervisor of departmental employees. Provides guidance and direction to staff involved in department services and programs.
- Responsible for ensuring the all programs, activities, and series comply with university, state, and federal regulations.
- Responsible for maintaining an inclusive working environment that is free from discrimination and harassment.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the VP or other appropriate administrator.
Education and Experience
Master’s degree in an appropriate area and six years of relevant experience; or a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area and eight years of relevant experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position does have supervisory responsibility.
- Emotional Intelligence*
- Facilitative Decision Making*
- Fair and Legal Management*
- Financial Management*
- Political Savvy*
- Problem Solving*
- Role Model*
- Strategic Thinking*
- Talent Selection*
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.