Associate Director, IT
Reporting to an Associate CIO or IT Director, this position is responsible for the direction, coordination and administration of IT-related activities in one or more information technology areas. Responsible for resources, results, and ROI. Directs the activities of technical staff. Mentors and motivates staff. Measures performance and makes continuous improvements. May function as director in his/her absence as required.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Assists the Associate CIO/Director in short and long range planning for unit
- Supervises assistant directors, managers and staff of functional work-groups and processes
- Is responsible for Project & Portfolio Management:
- Develops project plans, including scope, schedule, and budgets, for major projects.
- Formulates Requirements definition & Infrastructure Impact Assessment for proposed new services or changes to existing services.
- Tracks projects; reports status, and resolves problems. Supervises and manages cross-functional projects
- Performs needs assessment and capacity planning.
- Directs Operations & Maintenance of ongoing services.
- Defines and monitors critical success factors and key performance indicators.
- Defines Service Level Agreements stating expectations regarding performance of services.
- Oversees employee development within unit.
- May be responsible for leading or championing projects employing cross-functional teams of IT professionals.
- May serve on university, statewide or national committees concerned with development of IT standards and policies.
Education and Experience
Master’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and five years of experience; or a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and seven years of appropriate experience. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position does have supervisory responsibility.
- Emotional Intelligence*
- Facilitative Decision Making*
- Fair and Legal Management*
- Financial Management*
- Political Savvy*
- Problem Solving*
- Role Model*
- Strategic Thinking*
- Talent Selection*
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.