Manager, Box Office
Oversees daily operations of the box office or ticketing department, including managing daily and seasonal sales, scheduling and supervising staff, and advising staff on technical issues. This position is responsible for ensuring a hospitable environment for event patrons and an efficient and effective sales team. The position proposes strategic goals for the department and develops objectives to accomplish those goals. The position is highly visible and interacts regularly with event sponsors, vendors, clients, and events staff.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Oversees box office operations and facilitates processing and fulfillment of ticket requests.
- Assures courteous guest and client relations and provides expert assistance with questions and concerns.
- Manages event calendar and helps to promote venue.
- Coordinates with event promoters, clients, and communications staff on marketing and promotional efforts for individual events, including print, TV/radio, and social media outlets.
- Develops and manages departmental budget and sets sales goals.
- Oversees financial processing, ensures proper cash handling and control procedures, follows up on invalid payments, and coordinates with accounting staff as needed.
- Hires, trains, schedules, and supervises day and evening box office staff.
- Develops and enforces policies and procedures.
- Reviews and executes contract requirements for specified events.
- Creates price maps for events and prepares supply and revenue estimates.
- Conducts analysis and generates detailed financial statements and reports.
- Develops strong relationships and interacts regularly with venue manager, event promoters, artistic or athletic representatives, vendors, individual, group and organizational clients, and events staff.
Education and Experience
A bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and two years of appropriate experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position may have supervisory responsibility.
- Emotional Intelligence*
- Facilitative Decision Making*
- Fair and Legal Management*
- Financial Management*
- Political Savvy*
- Problem Solving*
- Role Model*
- Strategic Thinking*
- Talent Selection*
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.