This is work managing an agricultural research or demonstration farm. Positions manage staff and oversee land cultivation and production, animal husbandry, infrastructure, and equipment maintenance and repair.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Recommends and implements operating policies and procedures at the farm level.
- Plans and develops objectives, workflows, and deadlines for farm operations.
- Prepares farm production reports and prepares and implements budgets.
- Develops and implements a preventive maintenance and repair program.
- Plans and directs the construction and modification of buildings on the farm, including fences, stalls, and water systems.
- Determines the time and level of supplemental feedings, animal husbandry skills, and related procedures.
- Inspects fields or orchards to detect disease or infestation, determine crop conditions, and monitor safety conditions.
- Supervises the pesticide schedule and application.
Education and Experience
A high school diploma or equivalent and five years of relevant experience managing an agricultural operation and supervising staff. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required number of years of experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position does have supervisory responsibility.
- Emotional Intelligence*
- Facilitative Decision Making*
- Fair and Legal Management*
- Financial Management*
- Political Savvy*
- Problem Solving*
- Role Model*
- Strategic Thinking*
- Talent Selection*
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.