Manager, Health Information
Manages the activities of a patient medical information unit.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Directs and controls activities of personnel in a medical information unit.
- Manages and coordinates a system for safeguarding and updating active and inactive patient medical information.
- Recommends and implements operating policies and procedures.
- Monitors the accurateness of patient information and documentation of patient visits.
- Serves as an advisor on medical information policies and consultant to medical staff.
- Maintains a referral tracking system to insure proper follow-up of patient care referred for outside consultations and imaging services.
- Trains and supervises medical information personnel in the daily operations of the medical information department. Orients new staff to the relationship and interaction of medical information unit with other units of department.
- Evaluates performance, implements corrective action on areas needing improvement or re-training. Recommends actions involving pay and employment
- Participates on applicable committees and recommends policy changes as necessary.
- Oversees the processing of subpoenas and depositions consistent with legal regulations.
- Determines the need for equipment and supplies.
- Provides for the processing of subpoenas and depositions consistent with legal regulations.
- Develops and monitors operating budget.
Education and Experience
Certification as Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) and appropriate experience to total five years; or a high school diploma and five years of appropriate experience. Appropriate college course work or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Licensure and Certification
Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) preferred.
This position may have supervisory responsibility.
- Emotional Intelligence*
- Facilitative Decision Making*
- Fair and Legal Management*
- Financial Management*
- Political Savvy*
- Problem Solving*
- Role Model*
- Strategic Thinking*
- Talent Selection*
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.