Responsible for the operational management and administrative direction of an accounting unit and/or function with broad responsibility. Oversees and ensures accounting policies and practices of the organization are followed in accordance with university policy and generally accepted accounting practices (GAAP). Manages the financial record keeping, reporting, and other accounting functions for a college, department, or unit. This position directs the long-range strategic planning, operations, and/or administrative activities of a department or major function. Analyzes the effectiveness of and establishes future direction for functional policies and programs. The primary duty is the management of other managers, professionals, and support staff*. This position reports to a Vice President, Assistant/Associate Vice President, Associate Dean, or other appropriate administrator. This position may not report to another Director.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Oversees and ensures accounting policies and practices of the organization are followed in accordance with university policy and generally accepted accounting practices. Manages the financial record keeping, reporting, and other accounting functions for a college, department, or unit. Oversees and leads the preparation of reports which summarize and forecast business activity and financial performance in areas of income, expenses, and earnings based on past, present, and expected outcomes.
- Translates strategic and tactical business plans into operational plans. Has latitude to make operational decisions within broadly defined parameters and decision require a high level of judgement. Deviations from university policies generally requires higher managerial approval.
- Establishes the direction, goals, implementation strategy and policies of the department or unit within an administrative area.
- Directs the efforts of and supervises departmental staff, sets performance standards and accountability.
- Develops growth and development plans to maximize learning and development opportunities in order to improve team members’ performance and addresses departmental skill gaps.
- Formulates and administers the annual operating budget.
- Advises senior administrators in implementing programs, new initiatives, and special projects.
- Responsible for ensuring the all programs, activities, and series comply with university, state, and federal regulations.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining partnerships throughout the University. Oversees communications, promotions, and public relations for department in order to achieve departmental goals and objectives.
- Serves on various university, division and departmental committees and represents the department at various state and national associations.
- Responsible for maintaining an inclusive working environment that is free from discrimination and harassment.
- Responsible for ensuring practices are consistent with GAAP and in compliance with federal and state laws including the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
Education and Experience
Master’s degree in appropriate area of specialization and six years of appropriate experience or a bachelor’s degree in appropriate areas of specialization and eight years of experience.
Licensure and Certification
May require certification as Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
This position does have supervisory responsibility.
*The Director title may be used when a key contributor does not have the management responsibilities for this class but leads a function with significant impact to campus operations or external relations.
- Emotional Intelligence*
- Fair and Legal Management*
- Strategic Thinking*
- Role Model*
- Talent Selection*
- Problem Solving*
- Facilitative Decision Making*
- Financial Management*
- Political Savvy*
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.