Manager, Human Resources
This position manages a human resources related unit or activity in one or more of the following functional areas including, but not limited to, staffing and recruiting, benefits, performance management, training, and human resource operations. Manages and oversees the daily operations of an assigned area. The position typically supervises professionals and support staff of an assigned area. This position reports to a Director, Associate/Assistant Director, Assistant Dean, or other appropriate administrator.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Plans and coordinates department activities by scheduling work assignments, setting priorities, and directing the work of subordinate employees.
- Establishes operational goals and objectives that align with the overall strategic plan.
- Identifies, evaluates, supports, and solves complex issues related to area of expertise.
- Participates in the planning and administration of departmental and project activities.
- Resolves escalated problems referred by subordinate staff.
- Advises faculty, staff, and administrators regarding university policies and procedures related to their assigned area.
- Serves as a link between management and employees by handling questions, interpreting and administering policies/procedures, and resolving work related issues.
- Responsible for monitoring the work environment of assigned area to ensure compliance with the University non-discrimination and workplace harassment policies by reporting alleged violations to senior management in a timely manner.
Education and Experience
A bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and four years of appropriate experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Licensure and Certification
SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP), SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP), HRCI Professional in Human Resources (PHR), or HRCI Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) preferred
This position does have supervisory responsibility.
- Emotional Intelligence*
- Facilitative Decision Making*
- Fair and Legal Management*
- Financial Management*
- Political Savvy*
- Problem Solving*
- Role Model*
- Strategic Thinking*
- Talent Selection*
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.